Starting yesterday, my Pidgin stopped connecting to Yahoo!’s messenger service (MSN kept working). Being lazy, I’ve just changed the scs.msg.yahoo.com host to 220.127.116.11 in the user profile panel – the first solution I’ve came across on Google – and it started working again. For another day or so.
But today, it stopped working again and I couldn’t get it working again. So I’ve used Meebo to go online and ask others if their YM! clients worked, if they’ve also encountered this problem, and, most important, what did they do to fix it. And – thanks to Radu – I’ve found out the root of this problem: Yahoo! changed the specifications of its im protocol. Fortunately, the Pidgin guys don’t waste time and the problem can be solved by upgrading to Pidgin 2.5.7.